Chef Ray Dawson, Director of Culinary Operations, shares his recipe for Cornbread Sausage Stuffing.
CORNBREAD SAUSAGE STUFFING
Yield: 12 Servings
1 large onion, ciseler
4 ribs celery, small dice
3 medium carrots, small dice
4 cloves garlic
1lb sweet Italian sausage meat, casings removed
10 cups stale cornbread, cut into ½” cubes
3 -4 cups chicken stock
10 sage leaves chiffonade
¼ bu thyme leaves roughly chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat an oven to 375˚F.
2. Coat a large sauté pan with olive oil over medium high flame. When the oil is hot add the sausage meat and break up into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Sauté the meat until it begins to turn golden brown.
3. Add the onions, celery, carrots and garlic to the pan and sauté the vegetables until tender and very aromatic.
4. Add the cornbread and mix everything well.
5. In small increments begin to add the chicken stock until the desired consistency is achieved. For a looser stuffing add more stock for a dryer stuffing add less.
6. Season the stuffing to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Fold in the sage and thyme leaves.
7. Place the stuffing in an oven proof casserole dish and dot the top with the butter. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy on top and the sides are bubbling.
8. Garnish the top with additional sage chiffonade.
Happy Holidays from the International Culinary Center!
Learn more about Professional Culinary Arts: https://www.internationalculinarycenter.com/category/culinary-and-pastry-courses/professional-culinary-arts-programs/