With Halloween just around the corner, Associate Director of Pastry, Chef Jürgen David, showed us how to create the easiest caramel and the spookiest Halloween decorations.
For this pro tip, we chose a soft caramel directly from our Professional Pastry Arts curriculum. It’s a versatile recipe for a simple caramel, and it only takes a few ingredients to use this in so many different ways. Here, we’ve taken a little fondant and a lot of imagination to turn a quick technique into a delicious and fun treat!
Ingredients For the Caramel
- 400 grams granulated sugar
- 480 milliliters heavy cream
- 60 grams butter
- 90 grams honey
- 1 vanilla bean
Ingredients For the Decorations
- Pretzel rods
- White or Milk chocolate
- Candy eyeballs
- Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and put on high heat.
- Cook the mixture to 122º C.
- Strain the mixture onto a parchment or Silpat lined sheet pan.
- Allow the caramel to cool completely.
- Cut into strips.
- Be sure to continuously stir the caramel while it is on the stove so it does not burn.
- Do not put caramel into the fridge to cool. The consistency will change and it will ruin the caramel.
- For the recipe you will need: a pot, parchment paper or a Silpat, a strainer, a thermometer, a rolling pin, and a wooden spoon.
How To Make The Caramel and Decorations
1. Gather ingredients and measure into separate bowls or directly into the pot.
2. Turn the stove on to medium-high heat, and stir the caramel for 15 minutes, or until it reaches 122°C.
3. Once the caramel has reached the proper temperature, strain it onto parchment paper or a rubber mat (we used Silpat)
Note: this is where you want to let the caramel cool. Do not put it into the fridge, as the caramel texture and consistency will change, and it will be ruined.
4. Cut the caramel into strips, and begin to wrap the caramel around the pretzel rods.
5. Roll out your favorite fondant, and begin to decorate over the caramel wrapped pretzel rods. Use a piping bag for precise chocolate details, like you see in the pumpkin. The fingernail was created using a sliced almond!
6. Show off to friends and family at your spooky Halloween party!