In honor of the Lunar New Year this Saturday, January 28, Director of Pastry Operations Jansen Chan shares his recipe for a classic french pastry with an Asian twist. In collaboration Sinovision, Chef Jansen incorporates black sesame to further illustrate the fusions between French and Chinese cultures.
Watch and learn how to create this delicious treat to welcome in the year of the rooster.
“Traditionally, Lunar New Year is celebrated with a selection of confections or fresh fruit, which you can have out all day for visiting friends and family. The French pastry, Gâteau Basque, is rich and delicious, and this version incorporates a popular Asian ingredient, black sesame, in its creamy, custardy filling. It holds beautifully for a few days and is an unexpected dish to honor the New Year.” – Jansen Chan
Recipe: Black Sesame Gâteau Basque With Cherries
Yield: one – 8” cake
Ingredients for Gâteau Basque Assembly:
½ Gâteau Basque dough
½ Black sesame pastry cream, cooled
½ cup dried or poached and drained sour cherries
Black and white sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
Procedures for Gâteau Basque Assembly:
- Prepare 8” cake pan or cake ring with butter or pan release spray.
- Place the dough batter into a piping bag fitted with a #4 piping tip.
- Starting in the center of the pan, pipe an even spiral of dough around the base of the pan, and up the sides, about 1” high.
- Place the pastry cream in the center well, making sure no custard is touching the sides of the pan.
- Sprinkle cherries on top of the pastry cream, pushing them in slightly to create a flat surface.
- Pipe another spiral of dough on top of the pastry cream, sealing the filling in. If necessary, spread the dough smooth on top.
- Brush the top of the dough with egg wash, and sprinkle with sesame seeds as desired.
- Bake at room temperature 375 F for 25-30 mins., or until a deep, golden brown.
- Allow to cool before unmolding.
- Serve at room temperature.
Ingredients for Black Sesame Pastry Cream:
100 g. black sesame seeds
60 g. sesame oil
500 g. milk
100 g. sugar
5 egg yolks
40 g. cornstarch
¼ t. salt
Procedures for Black Sesame Pastry Cream:
- Blend sesame seeds and sesame oil until it forms a thick paste. Reserve.
- In a medium saucepan, bring milk and half of the sugar to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, and cornstarch together.
- Off heat, add ¼ of hot milk to egg mixture and whisk. Return entire mixture to the pot.
- Over medium heat, continue to cook with a whisk, until fully boiling. Allow to boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in black sesame paste and salt.
- Transfer to plastic lined tray, cover with additional plastic wrap, and allow to cool.
Ingredients for Gâteau Basque Dough:
400 g. butter, at room temperature
400 g. sugar
1 t. vanilla extract
300 g. flour
1 t. baking powder
¾ t. salt
Procedures for Gâteau Basque Dough:
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the eggs and vanilla to the mixture, scraping occasionally.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add all the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and continue to paddle until just combined.
- Use immediately.