Cheese for Culinary Professionals
Learn the essentials of tasting, presenting, and selling cheese—and so much more—from the experts at Murray's, the New York City landmark that searches the globe to find the world's best cheeses.
Everything You Need to Know About Cheese in 14.5 Hours
Join cheese experts from New York’s renowned Murray’s Cheese as they guide you through the ins and outs of cheese selection, cheesemaking, and developing a successful restaurant cheese program. Through extended tastings, a tour of Murray’s subterranean aging caves, and interactive instruction from leading cheese professionals, you will learn all you had ever hoped to learn about cheese—and more.
What You’ll Learn
- How to identify and assess virtually all cheeses, through a thorough understanding of major cheese styles
- Cheese tasting vocabulary, including flavor balance principles, blind tasting exercise, and basics of beverage pairings
- How to execute a restaurant cheese program including selecting, ordering, creating a menu, minimizing waste, and more
- How to prepare a stunning cheese plate, with perfectly paired accompaniments
- The fundamentals of cheesemaking and milk chemistry (and how to apply those principles in your kitchen)
- All about affinage—the careful aging and selection of cheese—through a tour of Murray’s Cheese caves in Greenwich Village
- Seasonality of cheese
- The historical origins and context of cheesemaking traditions
Sascha Anderson, Murray's Cheese's Director of Education, just can't stop talking about cheese. After studying English and working in education, Sascha followed her nose—and her tastebuds—to a cheese and specialty foods shop in her native Oklahoma, where she spent the next few years turning her fellow Okies on to the wonders of Epoisses and Pleasant Ridge Reserve. After she had nearly memorized The Murray's Cheese Handbook, she tried her hand at the Murray's counter, eventually finding her way into the classroom. Now as Murray’s Director of Education, she oversees daily public classes and private events, coordinates staff training and enrichment, and tries to find time to sneak away to visit her favorite cheesemakers.