Inside ICC’s Intensive Sommelier Training
“As the amount of wine Americans drinks continues to rise annually, so too does the number of people taking the Court of Master Sommeliers’ introductory exam,” reads a recent article in The Wall Street Journal. We scoped out the Intensive Sommelier Training program at International Culinary Center (ICC), based in Soho, NYC, and Silicon Valley, CA, to see the steps to somm-hood. The comprehensive course—the first and only approved by the Court of Master Sommeliers Americas—educates candidates with 300+ wines (the bar tab would equal $10,000+ in any other setting), and culminates in the exam given on-site.
- Taste and taste and taste with the school’s Master Sommeliers to develop powers of identification
- Grasp the logic of food-and-wine pairing recommendations
- Learn proper storage, aging and service to bring the best out of your bottles
- Show your business brain—design a wine list based on a case study
- Walk the vineyards, tour the cellar and do the “viti-vini” on a field trip
- Live the 8,000-year history of wine making via countries that blazed the taste trail
- Embrace the challenge of a learning journey that will forever change the way you live, wine and dine
As the ultimate gift for a wine lover or a new career path for yourself, ICC’s Intensive Sommelier Training classes are held throughout the year. For dates and details, please go to culinarycenter.com.