FROSTED CHOCOLATE CRANBERRY CAKE
A recipe by Chef Jansen Chan, Director of Pastry Operations
Yields: 1’-9” CAKE
- 6 oz. Cranberries, fresh
- 2 c. Wate
- 6 Tbsp. Cocoa
- 1 c. Dried Cranberries
- 1 Tbsp. Brandy or orange juice.
- 6 oz. Butter
- 1 ¾ c. Brown sugar, dark
- 2 Eggs, large
- 4 oz. Sour cream
- 1 ¾ c. Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 1 c. Chocolate, semisweet, chopped
- 2 c. Powdered sugar
- ¼ c. water
1. Place the cranberries and water in a medium size pot and simmer for 15 mins., stirring occasionally, until the cranberries break open. While still hot, add the cocoa. Puree the cranberry – cocoa base until smooth with an immersion blender and set aside until cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 350F. Prepare a 9” cake pan by coating the sides with nonstick release. Place a parchment circle on the bottom of the pan. Pour brandy over dried cranberries and allow to soak. Reserve.
3. In a mixer, begin by creaming the butter and sugar with a paddle attachment until light and fluffy. Slowly add the eggs, one at a time, scraping occasionally. In the meantime, mix together the cooled cocoa – cranberry mixture with the sour cream. In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Back in the mixer, alternate additions of the liquid cranberry mix and the dry ingredients. Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom occasionally. Add the soaked dried cranberries and chopped chocolate. Pour the batter in the cake pan. Bake for 60-75 mins, or until springy to the touch. Allow cake to cool for 10 mins. before un-molding.
4. Preheat oven to 450 F. Stir together powdered sugar and water until dissolved. Add more water if the consistency is too thick, or add more powdered sugar if it is too thin.
5. Pour the glaze over the cooled cake, spreading with a spatula if necessary. Place on a sheet pan and bake for 5-8 mins., or until the frosting is set. Allow to cool before serving.
Happy Holidays from the International Culinary Center!
©2012 The International Culinary Center, LLC. For non commercial use only. Recipe cannot be copied, stored or transmitted electronically, or sold without written consent of the International Culinary Center.