A Halloween-inspired recipe by Deniece Vella, 2013 Professional Culinary Arts Graduate
Credit: Love Food and Thought
As the former owner of a cupcake company, I love making festive cupcakes around any holiday. All you need is good food coloring and a stash of disposable piping bags and you can have a blast decorating your cupcakes.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Green food coloring
- 12 chocolate cupcakes
- 1 cup crushed chocolate cookies
- 12 Candy tombstones or fondant decorations
- 12 Candy corn pumpkins, optional
- 12 Gummy worms
1. Add the butter to the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the whip attachment. Whip until fluffy, about 1 minute.
2. Next, add the sugar and salt. Start the mixer on low speed to incorporate the sugar. Once combined, whip on medium-high speed for 3-4 minutes.
3. Using your spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla extract and whip for 1 more minute.
4. Prepare a pastry bag with a plain tip. Add 3⁄4 of the frosting. Pipe frosting onto each cupcake and reserve remaining frosting.
5. Dip the cupcakes into the chocolate cookie crumbs.
6. Next, color the remaining frosting green with a few drops of green food coloring. Add the frosting to a pastry bag prepared with a small grass tip. Pipe grass onto the top each cupcake.
7. Add a candy tombstone or a fondant decoration, candy pumpkin, and gummy worm to each graveyard cupcake.
8. Enjoy & Happy Halloween!
Subscribe to Love Food and Thought’s YouTube Channel for more videos to come!